dinsdag 18 maart 2008

An interview with... me

Apart from my beloved Echo & The Bunnymen, only one band's lyrics and musical creativity has been moving me as much. The Smiths. The brilliant guitar riffs of Johnny Marr, the warm voice of Morrissey, and especially those fantastic lyrics, cut like a knife through every heart.
 
What attracted me to The Smiths isn't that hard to see: the lyrics are very poetic and sometimes romantic, sometimes eerie and depressed, with also often a political undertone. Lyrics about alienation, loneliness and being misunderstood are cliche, but Morrissey brings them in such an honest and in-depth way that I was amazed by so much lyrical beauty. As an Aspie, the aspie element in some songs also stroke me of course. "How soon is now" (and especially the line about going to a club, hoping to meet someone you connect with, but leaving disillusioned on your own) could be an Aspie anthem, while also songs such as "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" and the brilliant line "and then a strange fear gripped me and I just couldn't ask" are very recognisable to many Aspies, including me. The Smiths to me have always been a bit of an Aspie band, even though none of the members have any publically known diagnosis whatsoever, and of course the Smiths are much more.
 
Combining the eerieness and romance (such as There Is A Light... dealing with romance by wishing to die together and to never return home) but also sometimes deeply romantic ("No it's not like any other love, this one is different because it's us" from the song Hand In Glove) and sometimes just a bit satirical yet with a kick in the eye of politicians worldwide... The Smiths were diverse but never failed to amaze me with their musical and lyrical brilliance.
 
 
 
For over two years I have been a very active member of Strangeways, an internet fan community about The Smiths. Unlike other forums, who generally focus more on Morrissey and all he's done since the Smiths, Strangeways is really a Smiths forum (without completely ignoring Mozzer's solo work). The community has not a large number of very active members, but the hardcore members are extremely interesting and nice people who are always up for good craic but also for some in-depth discussions.
 
The forum has a long-term tradition of "Member of the Week" elections where the member of the week has to be interviewed by the other members. Last week I was, for the second time, the victim having to answer the questions :)  My first time was 2 years ago when I was still based in Belfast, Northern Ireland. Lot has changed for me ever since as I became even more into politics, experienced the beauty of two more home countries, and further expanded my artistic horizons by discovering a lot more bands, and fell in love deeply with the Middle East.
 
Those who want to read my views about issues such as romance, sexuality's role in society, capital punishment, the true meaning of gothness, life as a traveller, the politics of both my native country and the ones I have been living in ever since.... You can find the most recent interview here:
 
For all records, you find the older one from 2 years ago here:
http://www.strangewaysherewecome.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1180
 
Smiths fans in general are always welcome to join the Strangeways gang at www.strangewaysherewecome.co.uk
 
 
 
Peace to all, and Allah Korosun!

Geen opmerkingen: